Know your colors

There's a little gem of a book out there called, "Color Me Beautiful" by Carole Jackson. I think it's been forgotten and was buried in a time capsule back in the 80s (remember when we used to do this in elementary school?). I'm here to resurrect this book and let you know how life changing it really is.

For years, I have had a love affair with cream. However, when I would take a picture in a cream top, I always looked so washed out. I assumed that I didn't have on the right lipstick, needed a tan or maybe I needed to go more blond (which is probably always the case). The truth, I discovered, is that I'm a Winter and cream is not in my color palette. Light bulb moment! So I did what any normal person would do: I grieved. It was time for me to consign or donate all the cream things in my closet. As much as I loved the color, it wasn't worth wearing it and looking or feeling frumpy. Since I can't wear cream, I choose to decorate and accessorize with it instead. It's a way to incorporate one of my favorite colors without sabotaging my personal appearance. :)

There are 4 color seasons: Winter, Spring, Summer and Autumn. Winter and Summer are cool color palettes. Spring and Autumn are warm color palettes. This means if you have cool colored skin there are blue tones to it and not honey or golden tones. An easy way to tell which tone you are is to examine which metals look best on you. If silver looks best, then you are probably a Winter or Summer. If gold looks best - Spring or Autumn.

One of the first things I do when working with a client is to determine her colors. Before we can edit her existing wardrobe we need to pull the items that go against her natural coloring and keep only those that are flattering for her skin tone. This step may be done gradually in keeping with your budget.

If you want to determine your color palette, order this book; it has a sheet of colors for each season that you can tear out and carry with you when shopping. Here's a tip: use the sheet as a guide and you can generally go a shade darker or lighter than the color on your chart if you wish.

Here's my disclaimer: I don't agree with anything else that she writes in the book about make-up or dressing, only the color palettes.

I'm giving away a copy of this book. If you want to enter to win, please share this post on facebook or any other type of social media and comment back here to tell me that you did it and where you shared it. The giveaway will close at 5 p.m. (CST) on Wednesday, March 27, 2013.