Strategic shopping can save you money

Strategic shopping is the name of the game when you own a capsule wardrobe. I no longer just browse and purchase, but I utilize my wardrobe plan so that I can make sure that everything in my closet is interchangeable so I don't end up wearing the same color or same style every day. I believe strategic shopping is all about saving your hard-earned money.

Many of us grew up shopping with our mothers as a past time activity or what we did after lunch, but I recommend something different to my clients. I prefer to be a little more intentional about why we are shopping, because not only does it save money, but by staying out of the shopping malls every weekend it helps diffuse our culture's pull on us to be defined by what we own.

Strategic shopping utilizes my essential wardrobe plan and my top 3 questions:
1. Do I already own something like it?
2. Do I need it?
3. Where will I put it?

By asking ourselves these questions, it requires us to stop and pause before we swipe the card or fork over the almighty dollar; many times it will keep us from making a duplicate purchase. I can't tell you how many times, I have found duplicate items in my clients' homes with the price tags still attached because they didn't realize they already owned a version of the same thing. Strategic shopping works best when utilizing the capsule wardrobe. You are less likely to make a duplicate purchase when you know every item in your closet and have a shopping list ready with the missing items.

Across the U.S. in the coming month, many states will offer a tax-free shopping weekend for back to school supplies. The items vary from state-to-state, but I'm most interested in buying clothing tax-free. In my neck of the woods (Alabama), it occurs this coming weekend, August 2-4. I don't know about you, but I would love to save extra on my purchases for the Summer/Fall/Winter seasons.

I will be shopping this weekend and carrying my wardrobe plan which lists items and colors needed for my wardrobe.

Do you plan to take advantage of the sales tax holiday in your area? Do you take a list with you when you shop for clothing?