Minimizing your waste

One of my favorite blogs that I have been totally obsessed with lately is Zero Waste Home. This delightful Frenchwoman Bea Johnson is transforming the environmentalist landscape in America with her picturesque home and shopping habits. I don't think its her intention to make composting look glamorous but she somehow does it and more. One of the things that I love most about her minimalist/environmentalist philosophy is that she goes shopping twice a year for clothing for herself and her family and only shops at the thrift store and other second hand stores. I've been so inspired by her story and her charge as an activist to be a better steward of our planet and resources, not only physical but monetary as well, because as Bea notes on her blog, once you start buying in bulk (without packaging) you save money.

I've been looking for ways to incorporate a little bit of her philosophy here at home. So here are my changes so far. They are tiny and may sound insignificant but the paper and plastic waste add up and so do the dollars.

1. I've switched to brushing my teeth with baking soda for a little while. It can be bought in bulk, it's inexpensive, natural and the container it comes in at most stores is recyclable. Along those lines, I'm not buying mouthwash anymore.

2. We grow our own lettuce now. Not only are the lettuces beautiful but they taste better, and it has saved us up to $8 a week on buying bagged lettuce at the grocery store. Don't be intimidated by growing some of your own herbs and veggies. Our lettuce is planted in two clay pots sitting in the sunshine in our backyard and is thriving.

3. I'm going to use up all the blush and eyeshadow I have before buying anything new or making anything new. According to Bea's blog, she makes most of her cosmetics.

Check out Bea's video on youtube to see how she incorporates minimalism and waste reduction at home.

I love to hear tips from Chic Planner readers, so what are some things you are doing to eliminate waste in your home in any form or what's holding you back from becoming a zero waste home?