Q&A series, part 4 - what is your legacy

This is the final post in my Q&A series, and today I thought I would put a different spin on it by submitting my own question. This past weekend, I spent time working with my father on helping him to de-clutter areas in his home. He lives in the house he grew up in and when my grandparents passed away, all their items and collections just stayed in the house along with anything that my father had accumulated. My father has four other siblings, so for sure, there were lots of photos and memorabilia highlighting them as well in the home. I decided that tackling the enormous bookcase in the living room would be the best use of our time. We sifted through photos, photo albums, books, travel books from all the countries that my grandparents had visited, pamphlets, framed pictures of awards and honors that my grandfather had received as a businessman. From time to time, my father would pause as we sifted through the items asking me if I needed this or that or had a use for it. My answer was a resounding no.

I've been thinking lately about my legacy and what I'm leaving behind for my family to sift through. If I take on possessions that belonged to my grandparents, and then one day the things that belonged to my parents, plus my own items, that's a lot of stuff to be traveling through life with. Do I want my children to feel a burden to keep all these things when I'm gone just because they were sentimental to me? What do I want my legacy to be? Do I want it to be collections of stuff or albums...? These are all questions I'm asking myself as I try to navigate what I keep and what I discard.

Truth be told, I want my children to know what it is to travel light. I want them to experience the rush of selling everything they have or giving it away, to travel to another country and live simply among the culture. I want them to know the freedom of one of life's greatest adventures to give up yourself and go to another land to serve the way I experienced it. And it's hard to do these things when you are tied to a lot of stuff.

I'm thankful for God's abundant blessings in my life. He's given me a beautiful home with beautiful things in it and I'm grateful for it. But at the end of my day and the end of my life, let it be said of me, that I chose to serve the Lord, I was kind to others, I was generous and focused on people, not material things. I want to pass on a legacy of faith to my children, a heritage that God has blessed our family and taken care of us no matter the circumstance. I don't want it to be that I was a person who collected stuff and was focused on keeping it clean, storing it, and taking care of it. I want to be a person who lived life with the most gusto and love that is possible.

I'm reminded of my most favorite book, "Appointment in Jerusalem". It's the story of Lydia Prince's legacy of faith, provision and how God fulfilled her yearnings to be a wife and mother but mostly to fulfill the unique purpose that God had for her. I think if I had to pinpoint exactly what I want my legacy to be - I would point to that book. I want my life's story to be summed up in a book that speaks hope, encouragement and passion to inspire others to live out their lives fulfilling the purpose for which God created them. I hope I'm on that journey.

What do you want your legacy to be?