Re-focusing my priorities

In the midst of the worst and challenging season that we have been through with our son, I overhauled our entire file system. We recently received the diagnosis that our son has speech and developmental delays and that he is on the autism spectrum. So, you may be wondering why in the midst of all that, would I be working on house projects, organizing and deleting files. But what do you do when you are stressed? Some people run, others cook and still others get a coffee with a friend and some of us: well, we organize.

With my son's diagnosis, I had no idea whether I would need to buy special items, toys or materials to work with him and help him cope. I had re-organized his closet but I felt the need to have my house very organized and to clear out the clutter to make room for what was coming in terms of physical space but also emotional. I needed our filing system to be so detailed and organized that if I needed to locate something for my son's therapist or doctor then I could immediately put my hands on it.

This isn't your typical Chic Planner post but I hope it still inspires you anyway. No matter the problems you face in life, don't be a slave to your home. Let it work for you and not the other way around. When life throws challenges your way, I find that scaling back and making things simpler makes life easier for us. With all the therapy and doctors appointments coming down the line for my son, my husband and I have determined that we have two goals right now and we measure all future commitments and activities against them.

first goal: to be debt free including our mortgage. The burden of debt weighs on one's marriage, physical health, emotional health and ability to live and enjoy life to its fullest. It also inhibits generous giving because how can you give what you don't have or what your paying to car loans and student loans? Steve and I recently paid off my student loan from college but now we are working on paying off his very expensive master's degree from a private school. When trips and potential dinners come up, they are measured against this goal. Will this opportunity help us in achieving our goal or not? This is the question we ask ourselves before we commit to anything.

second goal: to get help and therapy for our son. When we take care of our family first and make sure that everything is being done to get family members the help they need, then the impact will be a better and stronger marriage, a more peaceful home and living environment, improved relationships and less stress. So in this goal, we ask ourselves, how will this activity/opportunity help our son/family? If it won't, then at this time, we may say, "no". And that's okay. Because these goals may only be for a season until we get over this hurdle.

I encourage you to consider what is your top priority for your life/family. Are you measuring all future commitments against this?